Monday, November 24, 2014

Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing



I love food! I think about food constantly. I find myself thinking about what I will eat for breakfast at lunch time and planning by Sabbath Menu as soon as I am done eating this week's meal. This obsession with food takes time and energy, but it doesn't bother me because like I said.... I Love Food!

I am realizing the power of food, as I spend time reading about all the views on food. We have whole food plant based, plant based, vegan, paleo, and everything in between. What you eat pretty much defines you. I am a vegan! That is a part of who I am and shapes so much of my life and the decisions I make.

Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking reminded me of how powerful food is, or perhaps the lack of food. This book is definitely not vegan, but I was reminded of truths about food and life.

Anya Von Bremzen a food writer, talks about growing up in the Soviet Union. I had heard about the Soviet Union, but never like this. The things Anya and her family endured are heartbreaking. What struck me the most was the longing part of the story. They truly longed for food; while reading books, while standing on ration lines and bartering for food to save their lives. Even after leaving the Soviet Union, they longed for the food of the past.

It made me so grateful to look in my fridge and see FOOD, in my cupboards and see FOOD; enough to feed myself and my family. I pray that I never take this blessing for granted again.

While reading this book I jotted down these notes:

Food =Religion
Food = Politics
Food = Feminism
Food = Freedom
Food = Bondage

When you look at your plate what do you see? What does your food say to you or about you? Who are you?

Much thanks to Blogging for Books for providing a free copy of this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment