Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Traveling while Vegan.

I don't know if the title, "Traveling While Vegan" is the correct one for today's post. Let me explain, a group of coworkers and I traveled to Exuma, Bahamas for the recent holiday weekend. A beautiful place with the prettiest blue water that I have ever seen! During our trip our meals were catered by a restaurant that shall remain nameless. Unfortunately, I trusted my meals to others, after I was assured that I would be taken care of. Was I too trusting? Yes! One morning I found myself eating grits and fruits. Let's just say I was not very happy. That will never happen to me again, I will plan, plan and pack to ensure that my tummy is well taken care of at all times.

This leads to a question I have been musing over since my travels ended. What is vegan food? Is food made vegan by the absence of any animal products or does something else make food vegan? Yes, my grits and fruits were vegan. Yet, in no way did it feel VEGAN.Confusing, right? I think of the meals prepared in my home, vegan and satisfying. Meals that are light on fake meats and heavy on veggies, grains and sauces. I want to travel and have VEGAN meals! You understand, right?

To end my feelings of hunger induced depression I ordered a cookbook (the cure for everything). I actually stumbled across this cookbook when searching for something else. I don't think this book has been promoted really well- but it seems promising and full of VEGAN food.

     
   
Salad Samurai by Terry Hope Romero who I recognize as one of the authors of Veganomicon. I cannot wait to try the recipes in this book!

Also, my spirits were lifted by the arrival of my brand new Sun Beam Bread Maker. Yippee!
I have never been successful at bread making of any kind, so I decided to cheat and buy a bread maker. Finally, fluffy, delicious bread. I have only tried it once and was pleased. This is one kitchen appliance I will be using again and again.

Happy VEGAN eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment