Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Way of the Salad!

Salad! Everyone thinks that vegans love salad, in fact they think that it is all we eat. "Just have the salad," is a suggestion I have heard many times. To which I reply, " I do not like Salad!" Oh course, this causes a conversation about how someone who doesn't like salad could be a vegan.



When I stumbled across  Salad Samurai by Terry Hope Romero I ordered this cookbook hoping to change this attitude and instill a love for salad. (Isn't that a lot to ask of one cookbook?) Well, Terry does peak my interest by including pictures of hearty, colorful salads that I actually want to try. The design of this cookbook is incredible. The colors are eclectic and unusual, but they work well. The recipes are accompanied by tips for substitutions or other information that could be useful. Most of the recipes are simple with ingredients that are easy to find or swapped.

I have tried three recipes from Salad Samurai;

That 70's Tofu- A marinade made with tamari and a few other ingredients coats tofu that is baked for 30 minutes. I baked my tofu for a few extra minutes for more color and crispiness. This is a suggested salad topper, but can be served with rice and veggies.




Overnight Oats- I do not know why I have never tried overnight oats. This is simple, quick and delicious. Terry included a recipe for the lazy. Of course this was the recipe I used. This has already become a breakfast staple in my home.

Coconut Samosa Potato Salad- This recipe combined potatoes, chickpeas and cashews with curry to create a somewhat Indian dish. This was good! It was spicy and pretty filling, which is a concern when eating salads.

I would recommend this cookbook to anyone looking to broaden their horizons and try new ideas and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment