Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Afro-Vegan Cookbook Review



I think I know a thing or two about Caribbean Food, but transitioning to a vegan diet has taken me away from foods that are traditionally Bahamian. This cookbook will guide you back to the flavors you grew up with. It may not be exactly what you grew up eating, but it is reminiscent of what grammy and mommy cooked.
This cookbook is beautiful, I particularly loved the pattern found on the cover.  Each recipe is also accompanied by a song that I guess you could rock to as you cook. Its informative and I learned about indigenous foods and saw how their uses evolved over time.
Usually, when I receive a cookbook, I study it. I begin by marking the recipes I want to try, but I found myself marking very few pages in this book. The ingredients seem relatively easy to find, access to a farmers market would probably help. The recipes do seem to have a lot of steps, which is daunting when trying to decide what to make. I would recommend using this cookbook when you have time on your hands and want to impress.

I used the tofu marinade recipe from Lil' Tofu Po' Boys. This was the first time I saw a marinade recipe using water, the tofu was full of flavor.

I also tried the Sweet Potato Granola with Molasses-Glazed Walnuts. This was the recipe that felt like it would never end. But BOY, was it worth it. I wish that I had doubled the recipe. Sweet, crunchy, addictive.



 Afro-Vegan is an interesting cookbook that should be added to the collections of adventurous Vegan Cooks.

A copy of this cookbook was provided by the publisher through Blogging For Books in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment