Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Traveling While Vegan- Grand Bahama

Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting the island of Grand Bahama to visit a family member. I must note that finding vegan food in Sir Lynden Pindling International Airport is pretty much impossible. Is it too much to ask that Dunkin Donuts stock non-dairy milk? I resolve to ask for soy milk every time I pass through LPIA, eventually they will get the message.

There were a few places in Grand Bahama that I was looking forward to visiting:

Livity Vegetarian Take-Out - This place definitely had an eclectic "Rasta" vibe going on, with lots of artwork on the walls and music playing in the background. Better than the atmosphere was the food, I ordered a "Rasta Pasta" which was good. The highlight of the dish was something I would not usually try- Apple Cucumber Salad. I need to determine what was in the dressing, that was delicious! I also had a Peanut Smoothie, that actually used peanuts. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use actual nuts in a smoothie, I have always only used nut butters.

Its About Time Vegetarian Food Store is a few minutes away from Livity and has a full stock of vegan items. I was so surprised to see items that I cannot find in Nassau. I was able to get some Field Roast Sausages. I have heard about these sausages, but have never had the opportunity to taste. They were O.K. I know right, but they didn't blow my mind or anything. I also got some Almond Butter that was absolutely delish! The prices at Its About Time were reasonable for the Bahamas and the owner was great.

My favorite vegan meal in Grand Bahama was at......... Pollo Tropical! I have actually never eaten at Pollo Tropical, but gave it a try. Their vegetarian bowl is sooo good. Black beans, Romaine and tomatoes over yellow rice. I will definitely have this again.

So if you are a vegan visiting Freeport, Grand Bahama, you will find options for great food and remember planning is the key to success for traveling while vegan.



No comments:

Post a Comment