Saturday, January 28, 2017

Postpartum Life

Postpartum recovery is hard! Recovering from a C Section definitely took a lot longer this time around and this affected the meals we have been eating tremendously. We have totally been too dependent on faux meats, so I decided to challenge myself. Each week I am going to prepare at least 2 recipes from the mountain of cookbooks on my shelf. Hopefully, this will ensure that we consume more than Gardein products and brown rice.

A while ago I purchased the Oh She Glows App and finally decided to actually do more with it than mark recipes as my favorite. I was so happy with a Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe, my husband tried it and immediately said"home run!" This Recipe called for miso, which is super expensive here, so I simply omitted it and added more salt and yeast flakes. 

In the past, I would usually visit the Minimalist Baker's website almost everyday, but have been quite delinquent lately. I was pleasantly surprised though, when googling bread machine recipes for rolls too see this show up. In no time I had fluffy, tasty rolls to accompany my soup.

I had long been a fan of Kristy Turner's first cookbook, But I Could Never Go Vegan and snapped up her second cookbook that focused on families. Unfortunately, this cookbook has not appealed to me quite as much. Though I was blown away by the recipe I did try, Grandma's Date Walnut Bread. This was so good, it's 3 in the morning and I am thinking about another slice!

This week I plan to try at least 2 more recipes from this book and hopefully will be blown away again.

I have to tell you about what I am reading this week. This week the Newberry Medal was 
awarded and one of my favorite books, The Inquisitor's Tale was chosen as a Newberry Honor book. I have placed an order for the winner, The Girl Who Drank the Moon and can't wait for that to get in my hands.

Recently, I read another book in the Drew Fathering Series, Murder on the Moor. I am not usually a fan of mysteries or suspense but I like this series . The main characters are funny and I think that readers truly like and care for them. Drew makes mistakes, but this book reminded me of the danger of jumping to conclusions. Drew and his wife, visit an old friend in an effort to solve a mystery that is centered around an old home and a spooky moor. It seemed to be influenced by Sherlock Holmes and the Baskerville Hound, but included subtle Christian references that I appreciated. I actually figured out whodunnit before it was revealed but I still enjoyed this book, and look forward to others in the series. (A copy of this book was provided by Bethany House Publishers.)

I also have to recommend The Woman on the Orient Express. This is not usually the kind of book that I would read, but it had me absolutely spell bound. Check it out!

Well, until next time....happy cooking and reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment